Karen Kurtak, LAc is the co-author of The Baby Boomer’s Guide to Living Forever ©2000 by Terry Grossman M.D. et.al. This was one of the first books to discuss the science behind radical life extension. Ideas expressed in the book were the inspiration for Fantastic Voyage and Transcend … both written by Ray Kurzweil and Terry Grossman M.D.
In 2001, Karen began creating the Longevity Nutrition Department at Grossman Wellness Center where she is still the department head. Her clinic uses Traditional Chinese Medical Theory as a template and incorporates cutting edge science including biochemical nutrition, environmental medicine, immunology and epigenetics. Until science has discovered all the answers, this will continue to be a work in progress. Karen has consulted with people from almost every state in the US as well as 32 countries.
Disease and health are two ends of the same spectrum. It is not possible to practice longevity nutrition without knowing how to identify the beginnings of disease and effectively treat disease that has already developed.
Karen also has a private practice where she places more emphasis on Chinese Herbal Medicine and acupuncture. While she leans to being a general practitioner, she has come to specialize in autoimmune disorders, skin disorder and chronic fatigue. During the past 15 years she’s had the amazing opportunity to work side-by-side with an array of M.D.’s and health professionals in worlds of both conventional and alternative medicine. Aside from developing a healthy mix of skepticism and open-mindedness, she has seen first hand what works and what doesn’t.
Karen’s private practice also includes personalized research for unusual and difficult cases so that patients can make informed decisions about how to direct their own care.
Ms. Kurtak’s complete CV includes…
- Article in Rejuvenation Research Journal “Dietary and Nutritional Manipulation of Nuclear Transcription Factors, PPAR’s and SREBP’s, as a Tool for Reversing the Primary Diseases of Premature Death and Aging. doi:10.1089/rej.2013.1485
- Presenter SENS6 September 2013
- Department Head of Longevity Nutrition and Chinese Medicine at Grossman Wellness Center 2001 to 2013
- Co-author The Baby Boomer’s Guide to Living Forever ©2000 by Terry Grossman M.D.
- Member and Explorer of World Healing Exchange 2010
- Member and Participant Acupuncturists Without Borders
- Ecuador 2010
- Mongolia 2010
- Member AAAS
- 2002 Presenter at The First Annual International Symposium on Anti-Aging Medicine in Tokyo, Japan. “Combining Herbal Medicine and Allopathic Medicine.
- 2002 Advisory board for “The Scientist”. Featured in their spotlight section in the fall of 2002.
- 1998-2002 Apprenticeship in nutritional medicine with Terry Grossman MD After 11 years, we still work together and bounce ideas off of each other in clinical practice.
- 1998-1999 apprenticed with Elizabeth West, a naturopath who at the time had been practicing nutritional medicine for twenty years.
- 1998-2001 Diplomat of Acupuncture. Colorado School of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Studied with doctors and professors from all over the world.
- Over 2000 hours of Chinese Herbal Medicine and Acupuncture
- From 1990 to 1995 B.A. Environmental Biology, Minor Biochemistry. Western State College in Gunnison, Colorado